Commonwealth North Forum
Senator Lisa Murkowski:
Pending Federal Actions and Alaska’s Arctic
Wednesday, October 14, 2020
Senator Murkowski will speak to recent and pending federal actions, legislation, and appropriations to more fully realize the U.S. position as an Arctic nation.
- Discuss the re-established Arctic Energy Office, its role, what does success look like
- S. 2786 The Arctic Shipping Federal Advisory Committee Act (pending passage via the Coast Guard Bill)
- Other direct appropriations and incentives for Arctic ports pending in WRDA legislation, the National Defense Authorization Act, and perhaps the Coast Guard Authorization Bill.
- Pending appropriations for ice breakers, reflections on the President’s June memo regarding icebreakers, and what kind of input the Coast Guard needs from commercial players in the Arctic region.
- Adding and amplifying Alaskan voices in Arctic policy making.
- Expansion of formal US relations with Greenland; what can be done to promote more cooperation with our neighbors in Russia, Canada, Greenland, Iceland.
The program is free to members, $10 for non-members, and $5 for students.
How to Zoom
You can join us from any computer, smart phone, or tablet by clicking the link emailed to you after registration. If you plan to connect by tablet or smartphone, I recommend visiting Zoom.com prior to the program to download the app. You can watch this tutorial for more information.